Monday, August 18, 2008

Shaggy and The Dark Knight

Its clear that I have been away from a computer for a while, intentionally and unintentionally. Well, I would like to serenade you all with the details of my time away but its all too much, I'll stick to the extra interesting bits.

I really enjoyed last weekend, I spent it with two very good looking men, I can't complain, can I? Anyway, as we go along, you will realise that I didn't really "spend" the weekend with them but for lack of a better word....

Saturday started off with a call from one of my girlfriends reminding me that we were all to go see the gynaecologist that afternoon. The previous Thursday at our usual coffee get together, my girlfriends and me had discussed cervical cancer in detail and agreed that we should go get tested, together, for emotional support. That’s my friends for you. In the end, we discovered that the tests are only done during the week so we have now agreed to go together this Wednesday morning. I’ll let you know how that goes.

On to the next business of the day, Shaggy’s concert. Three of my girls and I finally made it into the venue after being pushed, shoved and practically mashed at the entrance. We spent those horrific moments between trying to make sure we still had our purses, toes, etc and vowing to get VIP tickets next time and un-vowing when we thought of how we would have more fun in the “general happiness” section. Surely enough we did have so much fun. We managed to make our way to the front because most people were disinterested in the “passa passa” dancers on stage; they were all waiting for Shaggy himself. When the man finally appeared on stage, the powerful beats of “church heathen” in the background, we were dumb founded. I concluded that pictures do indeed lie; the man is so much more gorgeous in person, he borders dangerously on being called a beautiful man! He has such a beautiful smile..........Ok, I must stop myself before this thing takes over (wonder what it’s called, what’s the opposite of testosterone?) But seriously, we needed a fire truck there or at least some rain but God seemed intent on letting us be tortured. In addition to looking like a black Adonis, Shaggy has a really great voice and is a brilliant performer. He knew exactly how to get and keep the crowd exhilarated and he did precisely that.

In other news, that same night across the city, the Miss Uganda finale was taking place. Seeing the pictures in the next day’s paper made me thankful that I hadn’t been there, I would surely have laughed or cried in pain. The girls’ make up looked liked my four year old nephew had done a painting experiment on their faces, it was truly a makeup experiment gone bad, really bad? By the way, did they judge the winner on the basis of who had the most make up on?

I am not a cinema person; I really do prefer those pirated DVDs, my old TV and my couch. I like to have the chance to rewind, forward, pause etc. The cinema is just dis-empowering for me but on Sunday night, I went to the cinema to watch The Dark Knight. I now think Sunday night is the best time to go to the cinema, few people, less chaos though I still miss having the remote. Anyway, if you haven’t watched it, you should. It really is a good movie, especially because of the props and the special effects. The storyline is dark as per the title and for those of you like me who like happy endings, there isn’t one in this movie. I kind of miss the Batman story where the hero always gets the girl, “Kiss from a rose” is still one of my favorite songs. By the way, the movie has no memorable soundtrack, only classical scores here and there, nothing to sing along to. Those were the disappointments for me but it was all made up for by the car and the bike that Batman rode, I don’t think it gets better than that. Got some pictures to give you an idea of why my mouth was open for a while during the movie. I am a real biker girl and I have always had a bike fetish, I actually tried to learn how to ride a few years ago (I would attach a picture if I could find it) My poor sense of balance failed me once again but I keep promising myself that I will learn, one day soon, watch this space.

In other news, September is bound to be the month of change for me, I start my new job on the 1st (I am moving to a new advertising agency), and my birthday is on the 3rd and so much more. I’ll keep you posted but in the mean time, I’m off to watch “Big love” which I must write about because the story line is quite intriguing. Till next time.

4 comments:

cloudy rays said...

One of yo gal friends here.....Shaggy, Shaggy Shaggy...need i say more??? i still get chills and alot more at the memory of that fine piece of creation, If i cud i wud shake God's hand for work well done...m m m!

leos child said...

another gal friend here....borrowing from another blogger God was truly bragging when he sculpted this man.for him he wasnt made but he was sculpted.pure eye candy!

Anonymous said...

Those Miss Uganda girls just didn't look pretty at all. Maybe they are not photogenic or television-genic or whatever. I can't figure it out.

Xena said...

Hmmm, girl friends, as for Shaggy....i swear there is a God and he sculpted that man, eeh. Obugalo for the guy up stairs...

@Tumwi: Miss Uganda has gone to the dogs, literally. Pun fully intended. The management of the franchaise is terrible. I admire Solaya Zalwango's courage and ambition to take on something this big but surely if you don't have experience doing make up, lighting, etc, hire professionals and don't try and do everything yourself. Things have gotten so bad that if she doesn't hire professionals soon, we will be talking of her demise.